Dr. Gerard Barry
Gerard is IRRI’s Golden Rice project leader and Golden Rice network coordinator. He leads the work of IRRI and other partners to develop and evaluate Golden Rice as a potential way to address vitamin A deficiency through projects in the Philippines and Bangladesh and for Indonesia. He is also working with India and other countries on Golden Rice.
He is also the Crop Team Leader for the HarvestPlus Program and leads the efforts to develop rice varieties with higher levels of iron and zinc to combat two of the other critical micronutrient deficiencies that can also be found in rice consuming populations.
- PhD 1980 (biological sciences), Columbia University, New York.
- MS 1976 (microbiology), University College, Cork, Ireland
- BS 1975 (microbiology), University College, Cork, Ireland
- IRRI (2003-current)
- Director of Research - Product and Technology Cooperation, Monsanto Company (2000-2003)
- Head of Rice Genomics, Monsanto Company (1999-2001)
- Co-director for Rice Strategic Business Team, Monsanto Company (1997-1999)
- Technology Leader for Rice, Monsanto Company (1995-1997)
- Senior Scientist, Associate Fellow, Fellow, and Senior Fellow, Monsanto Company (1983-2003)
- Chargé de Recherche, Institut Pasteur, Paris (1981-1983; tenured 1982)
- College Scholar (University College, Cork) (1974-1975; 1975-1976)
- Pfizer Postgraduate Research Scholarship (1976-1977; 1977-1978)
- Faculty Fellow, Department of Biological Sciences, Dartmouth College (1976-1977)
- Faculty Fellow, Department of Biological Sciences, Columbia University (1977-1979)
- Edgar M. Queeny Science and Technology Award (1996)
- Monsanto Excellence Award (2000)