Sudhir Yadav currently works as Senior Scientist at the Sustainable Impact Platform of IRRI and heading the soil, climate, and water cluster. His major areas of expertise encompass integrated water management, agronomy, and environmental sustainability. He is engaged in the full spectrum of basic, strategic, and applied research to unravel insights and develop water-smart technologies, irrigation advisories, water governance framework, and engage in policy dialogues to help in addressing challenges of food-energy-water nexus.
Along with a focus on research and development, SY has a strong inclination toward knowledge sharing through the mentorship of next-generation scientists. He has advised 4 Ph.D. and 6 MS students and currently working with 2 Ph.D. and 1 MS students. He has published widely in refereed journals, books, and magazines and has contributed to a vast array of international conferences and workshops.
- “Water-efficient and risk mitigation technologies for enhancing rice production in irrigated and rainfed environments” (WateRice) funded by the Department of Agriculture, Philippines (2016-2021). The project is focused on improving production efficiency and decision making with ICT tools to improve resource use efficiency (especially water).
- “Pathways of scaling agricultural innovations for sustainable intensification in the polders of coastal Bangladesh, funded by USAID Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Sustainable (2020 to 2023). The focus of the project is on increasing farm income and nutrition security by intensifying polder arming systems through the implementation of sustainable and economically viable practices, including community water management.
- “Co-designing Myanmar’s Pathways for Agroecological transition towards Sustainable food System” funded by Swiss Development Cooperation (SDC) focused on agri-food systems and agroecology in Myanmar
- “Agricultural Development Support Project” funded by the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, and Irrigation (MoALI), Myanmar, and World Bank Group. The project is focused on improving the cropping intensity of irrigated schemes.
- Development of rice-fish systems in the Ayeyarwaddy Delta, Myanmar, funded by Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) (2018-2021)
- “Transformation of rural landscapes for sustainable and nutritious food systems in Myanmar,” funded by WLE and led by IWMI (2020-2021)
- Public-Private Partnership Consortium – Improving economic and environmental sustainability of direct-seeded rice-based systems.
- Reducing environmental footprints in Dedru Oya basin of Sri Lanka (2018-2022)
- 2011. Ph.D. Water management, The University of Adelaide, South Australia
Researched on water balance, drainage pattern, crop performance, and simulating different irrigation scheduling for dry seeded rice.
- 2005. MSc Agronomy, Punjab Agricultural University, India
Researched on soil physical properties on crop performance and soil water dynamics.
- 2002. Agricultural Sciences (BSc Honours). CCS, Haryana Agricultural University, India