Sudhanshu heads the IRRI South Asia Regional Centre (IRRI SARC)'s activities with a leadership role in forging strategic alliances to create impact with IRRI’s Research for Development Agenda to meet the emerging needs and expectations of farmers, consumers, other stakeholders, and the broader scientific community in South Asia. As an agronomist, he also contributes extensively to research on crop and natural resource management in fragile as well as favorable environments and aspects of the rice value chain, scale-appropriate mechanization, seed system, and agro-advisories.
Before being appointed the IRRI SARC Director, Sudhanshu was IRRI’s Senior Agronomist for South Asia. He has been leading several key projects, such as the BMGF-funded IRRAS project in Bihar, the World Bank-funded APART project in Assam, the European Commission- and IFAD-funded projects on abiotic stresses, and the USAID- and BMGF-funded CSISA project across South Asia. He was also a key contributor to the BMGF-funded mega project STRASA.
Sudhanshu has successfully implemented several collaborative research and scaling partnerships in South Asia with national and international public and private agencies and organizations, including the NARES, advanced research institutes, international NGOs, and CGIAR entities. He continuously represents IRRI in several international and national platforms and forums.
Prior to joining IRRI in 2011, he served in different capacities under the State Government of Rajasthan as an officer, working mainly on agriculture extension and seed systems.
Sudhanshu holds a PhD in Agronomy. He did his graduate and postgraduate degrees with gold medal awards at the Acharya Narendra Deva University of Agriculture and Technology, Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh, India.
- Increasing productivity and profitability of small and marginal farmers in rice-based cropping systems of Assam, Assam Agribusiness and Rural Transformation (APART), Period: 2018-2022, Donor: World Bank (Role: Principal Investigator & Objective Lead).
- Excellence in Agronomy (EiA), Duration: 2020-2022, Donor: BMGF & IITA (Role: Co-Principal Investigator and Lead of South Asia)
- ICAR-IRRI Window 3 Project, Period: 2019-2022, Donor: ICAR (Role: Project Lead)
- IRRI South Asia Regional Centre (IRRI SARC), Period: 2016-2022, Donor: Department of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, GOI (Role: Head BPRP and Director)
- Cereal Systems Initiative for South Asia (CSISA), Phase-III (2015-2021), Donor: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and USAID (Role: Principal Investigator)
- Improved Crop Management and Strengthened Seed Supply System for Drought-prone Rainfed Lowlands in South Asia, Period: 2015-2018, Donor: IFAD, and PRUNSAR, Period: 2016-2020, Donor: EC-IFAD (Role: Principal Investigator and Objective Lead)
- Improved Rice-Based Rainfed Agricultural Systems in Bihar State, India (IRRAS), (2012-2018), Donor: BMGF/CRS (Role: Principal Investigator & Objective Lead)
- Improved Rice Crop Management for Raising Productivity in Submergence-prone and Salt-affected Rainfed Lowlands in South Asia, Period: 2011-2014, Donor: EC-IFAD (Role: Principal Investigator & Objective Lead)