The theme will push the frontiers of agro-geo-information forward, by undertaking high impact, multi-disciplinary collaborative research that transforms agricultural growth, leading to sustainable environmental management and improved food security. It will distil large amounts of complex data that varies both spatially and temporally, into easily accessible forms to enable better decision making.
Climate change is a threat to global food security. Livelihoods of rice farmers across SEA and SA are majorly based on rice crop growing in the most vulnerable areas to extreme climatic conditions. To develop and maintain sustainable rice production, the world's rice sector must have access to real-time and accurate information to make better decisions.
Policy planning for targeting interventions need accurate information on environmental condition and land coverage/area under cultivation. Limited resources of national and government agencies would need cost effective tool to monitor and deploy information for its agricultural system, with rice production forecast playing a major role in rice growing countries economies, securing global fair trade rice market .
The focus of this theme is to integrate multidisciplinary approaches to generate new credible information and actionable intelligence that enables efficient delivery and innovative targeting and development of practical system-level solutions.
We will provide data driven solutions, tailored to specific research and development needs of stakeholders, for better management of natural resources, to improve productivity, build better lives and ensure food quality to ensure food and nutrition security.
From developing better remote sensing based technologies to assess crop status and allow prediction, to better models for yield estimation and innovation in data management and processing/modelling, we will leverage new technologies to develop actionable solutions through data to meet SDGs.
- Developing new ways to detect metals
- New mapping techniques
- Remote sensing based crop insurance to reduce farmers vulnerability and increase income.
- Remote sensing based rice monitoring
- Crop yield modeling and estimation
- Geographic information SystemField validation
- Drone and Remote sensing based flood and drought mapping
Improved methods for remote sensing and data analysis that are capable of predicting changes in rice production, food quality, and natural resources management will ensure food security for the future through safer and more nutritious food in larger amounts, and increased yields, production, and profit.
Governments will benefit economically with increased national production, while citizens are healthier and less reliant on medical services. Better mapping can also be used to identify areas of land that can be used for increased crop production, and provide better management of rice cropping.
Agriculture and food security
- Remote sensing based rice monitoring system
- Remote sensing based rice ecosystem mapping
- Crop damage assessment due to flood and drought
- Mapping land suitability
- Monitoring pest and disease with drone technology
Climate Smart Agriculture
- Remote-sensing based suitability assessment of climate-smart practices
- Salinity risk zonation, mapping & assessment
- AWD – arsenic uptake
- Modeling crop calendar shift as a potential adaptation strategy
Food safety, quality and nutrition
- Mapping and modeling heavy metal contamination in water-soil-food and human health risk assessment
- Mapping and monitoring rice grain quality based on variety, harvest timing, and environment
Targeting and adoption
- Suitability and feasibility analysis identifying areas suitable for various technology
- Spatio-temporal analysis of technology dissemination to track adoption.
- Modeling yield for virtual variety (i.e. C4)
Soil and groundwater
- Rule based digital soil mapping
- Remote sensing based soil moisture modeling and mapping
- Modeling groundwater availability
- Monitoring urban expansion – impact on agriculture land , rice production
- Remote sensing based crop insurance
- Historical yield data generation