App-based diagnostic tool that provides accurate and timely diagnosis and management recommendations.
Rice Doctor Odisha is a mid-season diagnostic tool that helps agricultural extension workers and farmers have accurate and timely diagnosis of nearly 80 crop problems caused by pests, diseases and abiotic stresses due to agronomic mismanagement, nutritional imbalance or the environment. The Rice Doctor Odisha helps to visually diagnose the cause of the problem and provides actionable cultural and mechanical advice for the prevention and management of the problem..
Rice grown under tropical conditions is subject to a variety of pest and diseases which, if left untreated, can lead to significant yield losses, and therefore a reduction in farmer profits. In a study conducted by IRRI, it was found that, on average, farmers lose 37% of their rice yield to pests.
To be able to manage yield limiting factors effectively, the most important step is the early and correct diagnosis of the problem. Once a diagnosis is established, managing the problem is critical to avoid production losses. The right management techniques must be applied correctly and at the appropriate times.
How does it work?
This interactive application allows users to identify and diagnose possible problems in their rice fields. The tool includes over 80 pests, diseases and other disorders. The combination of text descriptions and images helps users in the process of diagnosing their problems.
- 10,000+ installs from Google Play Store (Rice Doctor).
- 1,000+ downloads from the Apple App Store (Rice Doctor).
- Average 4.5 rating (on a scale of 1-5, 5 being the highest) from various app reviewers, gaining praise for its usefulness (Rice Doctor).
Rice Doctor Odisha was developed as a part of the activities of the project, “Increasing productivity of Rice based cropping systems and farmer’s income in Odisha”. The app was launched on the occasion of Krushi Odisha on 23 January 2020 and the Odia version of Rice Doctor is available in Google Play store and can be downloaded at the following link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lucidcentral.mobile.ricedoctor_oriya&hl=en_IN.
- Build out content development plan: Increase the usability by improving its accuracy in diagnostic keys and inclusion of rice varieties.
- Develop an updated business model to increase utilization: This aims to involve target stakeholders to be engaged in the dissemination of the app as well as refining channels for delivery to increase app uptake.
- Targeted outreach and dissemination strategy: a holistic communications strategy is required to get the products to key stakeholders. Continuously improving training modules, success stories, fact sheets and pest and disease calendars could be valuable tools in Rice Doctor Dissemination.